A crown or “cap”, as it is often referred, is essentially a cover that protects and/or hides a particular tooth, or what remains of it. Crowns are an excellent way to restore a tooth to its original size and shape, or to supply additional physical support to a previously treated tooth.
Benefits of Dental Crowns
Dental crowns can:
- Shield teeth suffering from tooth decay or tooth infection
- Restore broken and chipped teeth
- Camouflage discolored or otherwise aesthetically unpleasant tooth surfaces
Often crowns are used in conjunction with other dental procedures. Crowns are typically used to:
During the first visit, your dentist will anesthetize the tooth that will receive the crown as well as the surrounding gum tissue. The tooth will then be filed down or built-up to make room for crown placement. Then your dentist will take a mold of your teeth, which will be sent to a lab specializing in crown production. Before you’re sent home, you’ll also be outfitted with a temporary crown that should last until your next appointment.
At the second appointment, the crown received from the lab will be fitted into place and permanently cemented onto the remaining tooth surface. With good oral hygiene and regular dental checkups, this crown can last up to 15 years before needing to be repaired or replaced.
Types of Crowns
Crowns come in four distinctive material types: all metal, porcelain-fused-to-metal, all-resin or all-ceramic.
- Metal crowns are the most durable and longest-lasting crowns available. They are most often used for heavy chewing, out-of-sight molars.
- Porcelain-fused-to-metal crowns have a metal base with a porcelain exterior. As opposed to metal crowns, the porcelain outer-layer can be made to match your natural tooth color.
- All-resin crowns fit your natural tooth color and are the least expensive crown option. However, they also have the shortest life and are easily damaged.
- All-ceramic crowns are the most natural looking crown option. Though not as strong as metal or porcelain-fused-to metal crowns, all-ceramic crowns are a great choice for highly visible, front teeth.
If you’re looking for a healthier, brighter smile, a crown may be the perfect option for you. A Beautiful Smile at Lake Pointe offers dental crowns to patients in the Houston and Sugar Land areas. Contact us today!