Brushing your teeth twice a day is the best way to keep your smile healthy and bright. However, some brushing habits could do more harm than good. Here are some common toothbrushing mistakes to avoid.
- Picking a toothbrush that is too big. When buying a toothbrush, choose one that feels comfortable. If the brush is too big, you’re more likely to miss plaque or brush for a shorter period of time.
- Brushing with stiff bristles. Hard, stiff bristles can irritate the gum line and cause bleeding.
- Using the same “route” every time. If you always brush in the same pattern, switch it up now and then. You may be missing important areas, like the inside of teeth or molars.
- Brushing too hard. If your gums hurt or bleed frequently after you brush, you may be using too much pressure. Gentle but firm brushing will remove plaque without causing irritation.
- Keeping a toothbrush for too long. You should change your toothbrush every three months, or when the bristles start to flare out. Do this to ensure your tooth brush is at its most effective for removing plaque from teeth and gums.
Our dental hygienists will be happy to show you the proper method to brush and floss your teeth at your appointment. For more information on tooth care, contact A Beautiful Smile at Lake Pointe today.