Dental crowns, also known as “caps”, are used to restore damaged or decayed teeth. Generally, receiving a dental crown takes at least 2 appointments. However, A Beautiful Smile at Lake Pointe offers a cutting-edge process that allows you to receive a crown within one appointment.
The standard process for crowns requires at least 2 visits.
During the first appointment, the dentist will anesthetize the tooth receiving the crown and the gum tissue around the same area. The dentist will then clean out any decay and file down the tooth to make room for the crown.
An impression will be made of your filed-down tooth and sent to a lab, where a crown will be made to fit the new shape of your tooth. You will be fitted with a temporary crown to protect your tooth until you return for the second appointment.
During the second appointment, your dentist will fit the permanent crown on your tooth and cement it into place.
Combining the standard 2-appointment procedure of a dental crown into 1 appointment, A Beautiful Smile at Lake Pointe offers same-day crowns with the CEREC process.
This means that you can receive a crown within one appointment, restoring your smile within the same day.
- First, the dentist will anesthetize the tooth, clean out any decay, and file the tooth down to accommodate the crown
- The dentist will cover the area with a tasteless powder and place a camera on the tooth, which will make a digital impression
- A 3D model of your tooth will be made on the computer using CEREC 3D software
- Once the tooth design is complete, fixing any discrepancies, the design is sent to a 3D printer
- The printer is loaded with a ceramic block (best matching the shade of your teeth) and the 3D printer will carve out an exact replica of the design
- The dentist will then attach and cement the crown to your tooth
Benefits of Same-Day Crowns
The greatest benefit of same-day crowns is that this procedure requires only 1 dental appointment.
Another benefit is that the design of the crown is incredibly accurate, based on an image taken with a camera. The 3D printer carves out the appropriate design in a short amount of time, providing you with a well-fitting crown.
With the CEREC process, you don’t have to deal with a temporary filling; your permanent crown is made and attached to your tooth in the same day. The strong material will protect your damaged tooth.
Unlike metal crowns, ceramic crowns look natural and the dentist will choose the ceramic closest to the color of your teeth.
However, if improving or restoring the aesthetics of your smile is your main motive, you may want to consider a standard crown, especially if it’s a front tooth. Because the tooth’s shape analysis is sent to a lab, there is more control over the appearance of the crown.
If you want to receive a crown as soon as possible, same-day crowns eliminate waiting time and the need for a temporary crown.
For more information or to schedule a dental appointment, contact A Beautiful Smile at Lake Pointe in Sugar Land, Texas. We are committed to providing you and your family with expert dental care.