Have you ever had a cold sore? If so, you probably know how painful and downright uncomfortable they can be. You probably remember how you wanted to make your cold sore go away as soon as possible, and you never wanted another.
Unfortunately, cold sores are caused by a virus, and there is no cure. Even though they usually go away on their own in a few days, if you’re suffering from a cold sore, a few days probably isn’t fast enough. To help you feel better sooner, we’ve put together a list of home remedies you can try:
- As soon as the cold sore begins to appear, soak a cotton ball in milk and apply it to the spot to speed the healing process.
- Cover the sore with petroleum jelly, which will promote faster healing and prevent infection.
- Toss your toothbrush and get a new one. Your toothbrush can harbor the virus and help it spread.
- Use an icepack to mitigate any redness or swelling that might accompany the cold sore.
- Don’t forget to take an over-the-counter painkiller to ease the pain. We recommend ibuprofen or Tylenol.
If these home remedies don’t work or you get cold sores regularly, we offer laser dentistry, which can reduce the discomfort of cold sores to help them heal faster. Call our office today and schedule an appointment with Dr. Jue to feel better soon.