Along with regular brushing and flossing, a healthy diet is a critical part of a clean mouth. Here’s a list of the top 5 worst foods for your smile:
- Sticky candy. Sugar is food for bacteria, and the more bacteria in your mouth, the more likely you’ll develop a cavity. Try fresh fruit instead, or at least brush your teeth after you eat candy.
- Soft drinks. Not only are sodas full of sugar, they also contain acids that break down tooth enamel and create cavities.
- Carbohydrate-heavy foods. Bread, potatoes, and other carbohydrate-heavy foods can get stuck on your tooth, where they will quickly break down into simple sugars.
- Vinegar. The acid in vinegar can easily erode teeth, so rinse your mouth out or brush if you consume any.
- Lemon juice and lemons. Lemons are highly acidic, and while it’s fine to use lemon juice in recipes, undiluted lemon juice–for example, chewing on a lemon wedge–can be harmful.
High-fiber fruits, vegetables, and water are all excellent food options for your teeth. For more information about dietary choices and your teeth, contact A Beautiful Smile at Lake Pointe today.